Since March of last year, we have learned to navigate our lives in a very different, remote world. Amidst juggling technology challenges, workloads, teaching our little ones, and figuring out how to get our groceries delivered — maintaining connection with our co-workers can provide much needed balance and motivation.
Here are some tips and tricks to connecting with and celebrating team members during this ever-evolving time in a remote world.
- Be social. Schedule a remote video call or teleconference with your department. Go beyond “just work” to talk about how everyone is doing, share the best and most challenging parts about working from home — or even play a game.
- Praise publicly. Whether it be a shout-out, meme, or email, it is specific recognition for hard work or accomplishments that count.
- Ditch the email. Occasionally opting for a short phone conversation or Facetime helps us reconnect with co-workers more than texts or email.
CELEBRATE & REWARD
Remember birthdays, anniversaries, or “just because” moments and make them known! Being out-of-the office can make it easy to overlook, so remember to recognize the special days.
- Surprise Deliveries. That’s right, there are places that will send out a cookie-gram — even a single cookie to your teammate at a minimal cost. Who wouldn’t love that pick-me-up? https://www.cheryls.com/cookie-to-the-rescue-cookie-card-cco-spr20-230531?searchTerm=cookie&sBrandIdTab=CCO_&storeIdTab=10202
- Snail mail. In an e-world a mailed note can be just the unexpected gift that they cherish. Encouragement, thanks or just because — surprises can brighten a day.
- Send an e-gift card for a job well done. Instant gratification and reward!